Wednesday, May 04, 2005

"Christian" does not equal Christ

After church tonight, I was standing around chatting with friends. We had just had a lovely praise and prayer service which had been preceded by some lovely instrumental music piped in over the sound system. In my head, that had come back on. However, when I listened closer, it wasn't "God is Love" that was playing. It was "Sister Christian" by Night Ranger circa 1985-ish.
You're motoring
What's your price for flight,
And finding Mister Right?
You'll be all right tonight
Seriously? Had I known it was Phil who put this in, it may have explained some things. Especially since he'd just played Joe Jackson. Anyways, this got me reminiscing about Mary and I singing (choir-like, btw) very non-Christian, yet church-like songs at the retreat. Our selection included:
1. Heaven is a Place on Earth by Belinda Carlisle
2. Like a Prayer by Madonna (herself non-Christian yet churchy sounding)
3. Johnny Angel by Shelley Fabares
4. Earth Angel by The Penguins
5. Angel of the Morning by Merilee Rush (my favorite) and,
6. Angel is the Centerfold by J. Geils Band
I think that was all of them...Anyhoo, the point, which I was reminded of tonight, is that there is a whole lot of church-speak in incredibly secular music. It's just funny to me. I'm not feeling eloquent or I would expound upon that thought...I'm sure some of you will pick up the slack...

1 Comments:

At 10:33 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

7. Heaven's Just a Sin Away
8. God Blessed Texas
9. Son of a Preacher Man
10. Jesus Christ Pose (Soundgarden)
11. I'll Fly Away on a Sin Wagon
12. Hallowed Be Thy Name (Iron Maiden)
13. Soul Man
14. Stairway to Heaven

 

Post a Comment

<< Home